Three important bills (HB1533 / HB1567 / HB1619) have been introduced this year by Representative Neal Kurk (R) in the New Hampshire State House. Together, they act as a firewall to thwart some of the worst practical effects of federal surveillance and tracking programs. This is an important first step for a state to take to push back against warrantless surveillance by the NSA – and other government entities. (read about the bills here)
HB1533 – Passed committee 12-1 on 02-18-14 – Passed House on 03-05-14 by voice vote.
HB1619 – Passed committee 16-1 on 02-20-14 – vote in House by end of March
HB1567 – Passed committee 17-0 on 03-04-14 – vote in House by end of March
YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED NOW! It doesn’t matter where in New Hampshire you live, it is imperative that you take these actions today.
1. Call your state representative. With votes coming in March, your representative needs to hear from you early – and often – in support of HB1567 AND HB1619. Make a phone call, as it holds far more impact than an email. Let him or her know that you would like to see them vote YES on both HB1567 and HB1619. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them for specifics as to why. If they are uncommitted, let them know that you’d like them to review the legislation as you’ll call back in a few days.
Find your legislator - http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/house/members/wml.aspx
2. Call your state senator. Politely let him or her know that you support HB1533 and would like to see them vote YES on the bill should it get to the senate floor.
Find your senator – http://gencourt.state.nh.us/Senate/members/wml.aspx
3. Check this page again for updates. Once HB1533 is transmitted to the senate, it will be assigned to a committee, and we’ll update this page with phone numbers and other contact info for that committee.
4. Call Back – any NO or UNDECIDED – in 2-3 days. Ask if they’ve had a chance to review the legislation and what their opposition might be. Email us at email@example.com with any information you get.
5. Share this information widely. Get this action alert out to all your friends and contacts – by email, social media and more.
6. On Twitter? Retweet!
— Nullify NSA (@NullifyNSA) January 23, 2014