[twocol_one]H4795, “Protection of South Carolina Citizens from Federal Collection of Electronic Data and Metadata” – would ban the state from providing material support or assistance to federal data-collection programs. It would also ban the use of such data in state court.
STATUS – referred to Judiciary committee where it will need to pass by majority vote [/twocol_one]
[twocol_one_last]H4791, the Freedom From Location Surveillance Act. If passed, the state would be banned from obtaining “current or future location information pertaining to a person” without a court order based on probable cause.
STATUS – 04-02, Passed judiciary committee.
04-30, Passed House 89-17[/twocol_one_last]
1. Call the committee chair. Politely let him know that you support H4795. THANK him for cosponsoring the bill. Respectfully request that he promptly schedule it for a hearing and let him know you’d like to see it move quickly to the house floor. A phone call has 10X the impact of an email, so please call.
Chairman Greg Delleney (803) 734-3120
2. Call the rest of the committee members. Be strong, but respectful. Urge each of them to take action to move the bill forward and vote YES on H4795. If they do not commit to a YES vote, ask them why. If they’re undecided, let them know you’ll call back in a few days.
It is important to be courteous to all these committee members. You don’t need to agree with any of their other actions to let them know you support this one. If a cosponsor from a party opposite of your own is on the list, they need to hear your support for this action even more.
James E. Smith (D) 1st Vice Chair (803) 734-2997
Rick Quinn (R) 2nd Vice Chair (803) 212-6897
Bruce Bannister (R) (803) 734-3138 (THANK him for co-sponsoring H4795)
Don Bowen (R) (803) 734-3038
Alan Clemmons (R) (803) 734-3113 (THANK him for co-sponsoring H4795)
J. Derham Cole (R) (803) 212-6790
Laurie Slade Funderburk (D) (803) 734-3044
Dan Hamilton (R) (803) 212-6795
Jenny Anderson Horne (R) (803) 212-6871
Ralph Kennedy Jr. (R) (803) 212-6938
Peter McCoy Jr. (R) (803) 212-6872
Walton McLeod (D) (803) 734-3276
Elizabeth R. Munnerlyn (D) (803) 212-6896
Chris Murphy (R) (803) 212-6925
Wendy Nanney (R) (803) 212-6877 (THANK her for co-sponsoring H4795)
Wm. Weston J. Newton (R) (803) 212-6942
Tommy Pope (R) (803) 212-6895
J. Todd Rutherford (D) (803) 734-9441 (THANK him for co-sponsoring H4795)
Ronnie Sabb (D) (803) 212-6926
Bakari Sellers (D) (803) 734-3003 (THANK him for co-sponsoring H4795)
Eddie Tallon (R) (803) 212-6893
Anne Thayer (R) (803) 212-6889 (THANK her for co-sponsoring H4795)
J. David Weeks (D) (803) 734-3102 (THANK him for co-sponsoring H4795)
J. Seth Whipper (D) (803) 734-3191
3. Call your state senator. Strongly, but respectfully urge a YES vote on H4791
Contact info here: http://www.scstatehouse.gov/legislatorssearch.php
4. Share this information widely. Whether on social media – facebook, twitter, google plus – by email, or other methods, please pass this information along to as many people as possible.
5. On twitter? Retweet?
— Nullify NSA (@NullifyNSA) March 10, 2014
6. Write a letter to the editor Look up your local newspaper and submit a letter to the editor voicing your support for H4795. Following strong legal principles, it’s essential that South Carolina no longer help the federal government spy on all of us. Passing H4795 will help make that happen.